Saturday, June 28, 2014

Storytelling in Mandarin

I read three to four different books to my kids before they sleep at night. Sadly, none of these books are in Mandarin. First, there are hardly any good Mandarin children's books in Manila. Second, even if there were, I probably would not know how to read them well. In this day and age though, with the internet at the tips of our fingers... anything can be found online. So I googled "storytelling in Mandarin" and I was led to these wonderful youtube videos! 

There are videos by Miss Panda. These are great because they are of familiar books that children already read and love. I love that she read Goodnight Moon and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I'm sure there are a lot more kids and moms who will enjoy these. If you've memorized the books already, it will be very easy to align the Mandarin word to the English word. 


Then there are these videos by Hongen education. The nice thing about these vidoes is that there is a portion at the end where the host (who reminds me of the wizard at Enchanted Kingdom) reviews key vocabulary/phrases in English and Mandarin. There are English words and phrases interlaced in the entire story so it's easy to pick up the story line (not to mention we must all be familiar with the story of the Three Little Pigs already!) 


Mandarin is a language that requires a lot of repetition and memorization. These videos sure are great tools for our kids to learn the language in a much more fun way. Do share your Mandarin language tools in the comments section! 

No comments:

Post a Comment