Saturday, April 13, 2013

K is thankful at 4

We did not plan anything special for K's birthday. It fell on a Wednesday, and just after Easter break. Most people were still trying to get back into the groove of life after that long break.
I wanted K to feel special, in some way , on her special day. For kids - dates are days - how do they actually tell the difference between yesterday, today and tomorrow?
I bought some balloons from National Bookstore and I scattered it around her in the morning before she woke up. I also put up the birthday buntings (thanks to Trisha of  Paper Treats!) that we used at her school treat - and added balloons for extra flair.
When K woke up - in her sleepy state - she asked:

K: why are there balloons on the bed?
Me: remember what day it is today?
K: (scratches her head)
Me: it's your....
K: ... Birthday!

Her reaction was priceless. With a big smile, K gives me a big hug and says, "thank you mommy! Thank you for my balloons!"

Later in the day, she got some new books as a present from us, and she got to have raspberry ice cream with extra candy sprinkles on top. Each time, she was thankful. It was a simple day, with none of the initial shebang I was hoping for (what mom does not want a big birthday event for her little princess?). We did not get to go to the pool for a swimming party, nor did we have time to have a romp out at the park. She had balloons when she woke up, she had special "decorations" that she did not want put away... and she had mommy for the day as I took a break from work. These simple joy completed her birthday. My prayer and wish is that she would continue to appreciate these things when she turns 7, 18, 35 and 67! Happy birthday K! I'm blessed to have such a grateful child as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment