Friday, August 3, 2012

K's Point of View: Sorry does the job

Tonight K spilled water on the bed - not just on her bed - but on OUR bed, the bed all of us sleeps in. We had to change the sheets, and the mattress protector. I wasn't happy about it, but I held my tongue.
I survey the mess quietly - not saying a word.

K: I'm sorry, Mommy.
Me: Next time, you have to be more careful.
K: Ok Mommy.

As I survey the mess, the rare nagger in me pops out.

Me: K, see what you've done... now we have to change everything.
K: But I said sorry already, Mom....

I shut up until all the sheets are replaced.

Me: K, do you think when you say sorry, everything will be ok?
K: Yes.
Me: Why?
K: Because I said sorry already - why do you get angry at me two times?

For the second time tonight, I got shut up by a three year old.

Me: Ok, K, I forgive you; but when you say sorry, you also have to know what you did wrong and try not to do it again.

I just have to have the last word. I have to admit though, tonight was a simple lesson in forgiving and forgetting.


4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to how you feel! Sometimes my daughter is the one who gets angry when she's not readily forgiven. She'd say, "But, I already said sorry already!" *sigh* I don't know how to make her understand that when asking for forgiveness, she should be humble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cym! One thing I have leaned is that the fact that they said the word "sorry" - means that we, as parents, have somehow instilled something good. I guess the rest will slowly follow in due time... :)

      Delete
  2. forgiving is not something that comes easily and just as asking for forgiveness can sometimes take LOTS of time.. being with my 2 kids daily teaches me that this is something that we can only learn as we practice it together inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every mommy ha a nagger monster inside! Haha

    ReplyDelete