Monday, August 29, 2011

The Corporate Housewife Mom

What is the corporate housewife mom? I've been obsessing about it for the past few days. I like to think of myself as that - because I work almost 10 hour days (yes, i read my mail while eating lunch most days), own a company issued blackberry (therefore i am accessible 24 hours a day), aspire to be the best mom I can be to my 2.2 year old daughter (and baby number 2, now 8mos in my tummy), and the best wife I can be to my 35 (almost 36) year old husband. I AM A corporate housewife mom - but not necessarily in that order.

These 3 roles do not necessarily meld together like coffee, cream and sugar... unfortunately. There are days when I really wish I did not have to leave for work... especially when my daughter wants to cuddle in bed, and tells me with eyes half closed... "still sleepy...". On sundays, I wish I can always make a nice breakfast/brunch for hubby - but I also like spending sunday mornings chatting with him in bed. I wish I could spend a few hours each day tidying up or organizing things at home... but I only have 24 hours in a day. When I get home at 8pm - the priorities are my husband and my daughter. The days when I need to stay late at the office, or attend an office affair... my mind is always revolving around what time I can escape to spend some precious time with them.

I have to remember to check on my daughter during the day - but I usually forget as I get involved in meetings, answering emails, worksheets and the like. I have to check on urgent email in the evenings... but I cannot always do so because I am too involved in focusing on catching up with my husband and spending quality time with my daughter. In the office, I would sometimes have to think about what food I can prepare to send with my husband, when he goes to work. At home, I would worry about issues I am facing at work or a report left unsubmitted.

People have succeeded with alternative work strategies - some spend a few days working from home to be able to spend more time with their families. Some bring home work so they can work late into the evening. I fail miserably at bringing home work - so I have not even considered going into alternative work strategy. I salute the people who have succeeded... It just is not me. I still like the clear delineations between the office and the home... weekdays and weekends... workdays and holidays. 

I am lucky to have a husband who understands (most of the time) that I like working and what I do. I am lucky to have people who help me to take over the roles I am missing as mommy and wife - my mother in law, my mom, the nanny, the cook, my husband (as mommy). I am lucky too that my boss understands too the importance of my family.

Whether as a wife, a mom or a career woman - I know I am not perfect. I fail at a lot of things but I have had my share of successes. At the end of day - even if I cannot give all my time to one role - I try to give all my best into each role. I am a corporate housewife mom. 


Originally written on July 9, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment